Our Mission Statement
The Virginia Funeral Directors Association advocates for and elevates the funeral profession by providing members with relevant training, resources and networking opportunities; serving the citizens of Virginia with consumer support and education; and representing funeral service at all levels of local and state government.
Our Vision Statement
The Virginia Funeral Directors Association aims to be the most trusted resource for funeral service providers and communities in Virginia. We strive to bring innovation to the industry, provide solutions to critical issues when needed, and demonstrate unparalleled professionalism when serving grieving families and the loved ones they trust in our care.
What We Do
- Advocate for member firms and the funeral profession in government and business practices
- Equip member firms with resources and training needed to run successful, compassionate businesses
- Educate and protect consumers when they are making purchasing decisions while grieving
- Advance the public perception of the funeral profession and promote open dialogue between members of the public and funeral service providers
- Partner with other state and national associations on critical issues for deathcare workers as they arise
The Virginia Funeral Directors Association met for the first time on September 20, 1887, in Richmond, Virginia, and declared:
“We, the undertakers of Virginia, this day organize into an Association, the object of which shall be the mutual advancement and elevation of our calling; the attainment of a higher standard of excellence; that we may better be enabled to serve the public who entrust their dead to our care. Our aim is to place our profession on a basis which will insure the respect and esteem of the community.”
Since then, we have worked tirelessly to advance the profession both in practice and in public perception in order to better serve the families in our communities. Like our founding members, we dedicate our time and talent to care for the deceased, provide dignified and ethical services, and protect our communities by adhering to strict safety procedures and protocols.
As a voluntary Association with membership affiliation in the National Funeral Directors Association, we are guided by a Board of Directors elected by our members from each of our seven regional districts along with four additional At-Large Directors.